Today I want to share with you possibly one of the BEST desserts I have ever made. It was seriously so good (but how could you go wrong with brownies, cream, strawberries & pudding?)! I got the idea from a show called Studio 5. They featured a similar trifle (found here). I didn't have all of the ingredients for their recipe, so I made it my own. Here's what you need to make my version of this delicious trifle:
- 1- 9x13 inch pan of brownies. I just used a Pillsbury box mix. Make as directed on the box then slice into 1 inch squares (my squares were definitely not perfect)
- 1- 16 oz. tub of Cool Whip (or 2- 8 oz. tubs)
- 1 lb. strawberries sliced
- 1 recipe of chocolate pudding mixture (which is also an awesome filling for chocolate pie):
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 small box of instant chocolate pudding
- 1 3/4 c. milk
- 4 oz. Cool Whip
- Mix cream cheese and powdered sugar together. In a separate bowl add milk to pudding powder to create pudding. Once you have your chocolate pudding, mix in the cream cheese mixture. Then fold in Cool Whip.
You are now ready to assemble your trifle! I wish I had a trifle bowl, but I didn't. Any clear glass bowl will work, you just want to be able to see the layers. Start with the brownies, then top with 1/2 pudding mixture, then 1/2 of strawberries (make sure to place them so you can see them on the outside of the bowl), then 1/2 of remaining Cool Whip. Repeat the layers one more time. I topped mine with a decorative strawberry but you could also put chocolate shavings, chocolate curls, or chocolate chips on top. I even thought another fun variation would be to try this recipe with raspberries instead of strawberries.
I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious recipe as much as we did! It was the perfect dessert to finish off our Labor Day BBQ.
*Shout out to my mother in law... I used her chocolate pie filling recipe for the pudding mixture. She makes the best chocolate pie, I knew it would be the perfect pudding for this recipe!